In the wee hours of January 7, a few hours over the 2-year anniversary of an attempted coup, a MAGA Cult Member was elected Speaker of the House of Representatives of the United States of America! It ain’t over folks!
From our local elected officials to the National stage, we must be vigilant and voice our concerns.
For example, last week, the chair of our Legislative Committee discovered there were two late-noticed meetings of great concern to Upper Keys Residents. She shared the info with me, and I got it out to our readers.
They took action! I learned about a spot on the County’s website that we should all monitor – the calendar way down at the bottom of the home
The reason we must do this is that here in the “Free” Fascist State of Floriduh, Municipalities are no longer required to post public notices in newspapers regarding public meetings. They can just post on their website. (You gotta dig for it.) Thanks to a new law passed by the Floriduh Legislature.
Since we no longer have a daily newspaper, many folks do not really have a sense of what is happening in our communities. This is a good reason to attend meetings and spread the news to those who really need to know! This is where we can really make a difference, monitoring local government agencies.
Here are some opportunities this week.
Tuesday January 10
- The Marathon City Council will meet at 5:30 pm at City Hall, 9805 Overseas Hwy, Marathon, Fl. For more info and agenda: https://www.ci.marathon.fl.us/citycouncil/page/city-council-meeting-67
- There are 2 more Zoning changes being considered in the Key Largo area. Click on this link and scroll down to the calendar, then click on the 10th and the 11th. https://www.monroecounty-fl.gov/ Keep an eye on these developments!
Wednesday January 11
- The Utility Board of Key West (Keys Energy) will meet at 5 pm in the board room at 1001 James St. Key West. For the agenda, click here: https://www.keysenergy.com/utility-board/
Seriously, stop throwing things at the TV and go to a meeting, volunteer to serve as a precinct Leader, serve on the Legislative Committee, or volunteer to help at one or more of the events listed below! This type of activism does not take any special skills, just your time. We will give you the tools to get the job done.
Remember – DEMOCRACY is NOT a Spectator Sport!
Activist Opportunities this week
Saturday/Sunday – January 15 & 15
- The Keys Dems will have a vendor booth at the Key West Seafood festival from 11 am – 8 pm on Saturday and 11 am – 5 pm on Sunday. We will be doing Voter Registration, and we have some important petitions to get signed. There is live music all day and lots of interesting people to meet. If you can help – email me ASAP. [email protected]
Monday – January 16
- MLK Day! The Keys Dems will set up a table from 12-4 pm at Nelson English Park for Voter Registration and petitions. We will also walk in the parade at 5 pm; dogs are welcome to join us! This is a great event for our local community. Email me if you can participate.
John Lewis once said, “our ancestors came here in many different boats, but we are all in the same boat now!”
Let us work together to ensure our elected government officials truly listen to us and that ALL voters understand the issues and the consequences!
Saturday – January 21
- Key West NOW is hosting a rally at Bayview Park in Key West from 10:30 am to 12:30 pm. BIGGER THAN ROE is part of a group of national protest/march events happening that weekend. The Keys Dems are supporting this event as well and could use a few volunteers to work a table. Email me!
It’s time for Democrats everywhere to be working in our communities to help ensure equality and justice for all. Join us!!!
I hope to see you soon. Get your shots up to date and get out of your house!!!