I had an interesting experience as I parked my car at Publix Sunday morning. A car pulled up behind me and said she was following me to read all my bumper stickers. We had an interesting discussion and she admitted that this year was the first time she had ever voted in a primary election! (Yes, she was a Democrat) WOW! We still have so much work to do educating voters about the importance of primaries and down ballot races!
Right now, I am proud to be a Democrat. Our president has called out the Fascist leanings of the MAGA GOP and the Orange Traitor they follow. Should 45 be punished? There must be accountability! If not, in my opinion, January 6 will simply have been a training mission.
As Democrats we have some great candidates running this year. We need to support them because they hold the future of our country in their hands. When someone asks me about 2024, my response is this: If we do not elect the right people NOW, 2024 will be a disaster. If you don’t know why, you need to wake up!!!
Here is our lineup for 2022:
- Val Demings is running for US Senate against a bootlicking weasel. This should be an easy vote to cast. If you want more info, check out her website here.
- Robert Asencio is our candidate for US Congress, Dist. 28. He has spent his life serving the public in the military and as a police officer. He deserves your vote and any other support you can give him. We need to defeat Gimenez the traitor with a decent, ethical man committed to serving his community. To learn more about him, click here.
- Charlie Crist is our candidate for Governor, and I personally believe his choice for Lieutenant Gov. was brilliant. Karla Hernandez – a Teachers Union leader signals his commitment to a real education, not the watered-down sanitary version of BS favored by the fascist DeSantis Regime. Check out his website here.
- Adam Gentle is our candidate for Florida House Dist. 120. He is passionate about his commitment to stop the corruption in Tallahassee, restore Home Rule and represent his constituents, and I have learned he should not be underestimated. Rep. Mooney, look out! Learn more and support Adam here.
- Kim Highsmith is our candidate for District 4, Key West City Commission. She is bright, fearless and has a wicked sense of humor. To learn more about Kim, click here.
Let us unite behind these candidates as they run to protect Democracy from Key West to Washington, DC. As President Biden said this week, “people have a right to be idiots.” He is right. They do. But in government we need folks who know and accept the truth and respect the Rule of Law!
We must all vote to achieve that goal. GET INVOLVED!
Monday, September 12 – The Keys Dems will meet tonight at 5:30pm in the Parish Hall of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, 401 Duval St, Key West. The entrance is in the rear off Bahama Lane. There is a city parking lot a block away. We have candidates to talk to and updates on the August Election and more on our strategy going forward to Roevember!
Monday, September 12 – The Upper Keys League of Women Voters will host a discussion about voting for judges. The speaker will be retired Judge Reagan Ptomey. This event starts at 6pm at the Jewish Community Center, MM93, US#1 oceanside. Sounds interesting.
Government Meetings This Week
Monday, September 12 – The Monroe County Board of Commissioners will meet at 5:05pm for their first PUBLIC Budget hearing tonight at the Harvey Govt. Center, 1200 Truman Ave. in Key West. For more info click here.
Tuesday, September 13 – The Marathon City Council will meet at 5:30pm in City Hall at 9805 Overseas Hwy, Marathon. For details click here.
Wednesday, September 14 – The Utility Board of the City of Key West (Keys Energy) will meet at 5pm in the Board Room at 1001 James St, Key West. For agenda and details click here.
Thursday, September 15 – The Islamorada Village Council will meet at 5:30pm in the Founders Park Community Center, 87000 Overseas Hwy, Plantation Key. For details and agenda click here.
We had a great event last night at the Gardens Hotel in Key West. Special thanks to Larry Baeder, Terri White and the friends who joined them. It was hot and so was the music!
Thanks to the Fundraising committee for their work in putting together another successful event. Thanks to the candidates who joined us and mingled with the crowd. And thanks to the Gardens Hotel and their staff for accommodating us!
I am not much in a ranting mood at the moment. I know it’s temporary. There is much to be concerned about, but spending last nite meeting with fellow DEMS, some I only knew from Facebook, some brand new who want to volunteer, gave me hope. Thank You!
We all have a part to play in preserving our democracy and making sure we elect good people to work for us. But we must pay attention to what happens after we elect them.
So, I hope to see you soon at meetings and events up and down the keys. Let us re-energize the Democratic party!
See you soon!